Palmetto Battalion

The Civil War Reenactors Organization Of South Carolina
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: DISSOLUTION OF PSRS
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:58 pm 

It is with a very heavy heart that I write this to inform everyone that at a special meeting of the Palmetto Soldiers Relief Society held on Saturday, November 8, 2014 at the Battle of Secessionville in Mt. Pleasant, S.C., members present voted to dissolve the PSRS.

It is not from want of trying but with membership way down, the fact that historical data is so readily available on the internet as well as other sites and the also that ladies now seem to want to do their own individual thing, that we feel the PSRS has outlived its usefulness. Believe me when I say that this was not an easy decision to come to. We actually had two meetings to talk about the pros and cons and all but one member present at the special meeting felt it was the right step to take.

Please know that for these many years I have enjoyed being a part of the ladies auxiliary of the Palmetto Battalion and wish all of you every heartfelt sentiment for the upcoming holiday season.

With kind regards, I am.

Louise Murray
President

Post subject: Re: DISSOLUTION OF PSRS
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:20 pm 

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ......!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:46 am 

This is Nita not Sid commenting, I could not get signed in for some reason.
As a former long time member and officer in the PSRS I am totally surprised and disappointed at the decision of the present membership to dissolve the PSRS. As I said "former" member. I did not rejoin last year or this current year. I had been a member of the PSRS for as long as we have been re-enacting, which is now close to 20 years. It is hard to believe that in the course of a few years the PSRS has gone from a vibrant group of women to a group that feels that dissolution was the only option available. I made the decision not to rejoin based on my personal feelings and situations of work, family, and obligations to other organizations. Everyone has been or are in those shoes. I was not privy to how the present membership came to their conclusion, however, it was their decision to make. As a whole re-enacting has a lot of challenges ahead to remain a viable hobby and an effective educational asset. Even though there is easier communications and resources to independently educate ourselves, nothing can take the place of being with a group of like minded people. Not being a member of the Palmetto Battalion or the PSRS does not keep anyone from re-enacting. However, the PSRS was an avenue for women to be a part of the re-enacting community without being affiliated with a military unit. So, this has now shut thew door for a lot of women. Sometimes organizations must try new ways to maintain their objectives, and at the same time retain old members and reach out to new ones. Sometimes you just have to go another direction, and there will be struggles. It is my hope the PSRS will regroup and re-evaluate their situation. Hopefully they will be back, and be back stronger.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:42 am 

Wow.
A great sadness befalls at this news of dissolution. I can remember when this group was founded and it's acceptance into the arms of the battalion. I've witnessed it's struggles and the way the ladies overcame adversity to allow it to maintain it's strength within this hobby. I admired the women who were part of this organization, in the fact that they were studious and often went above and beyond to teach one another, the men of the battalion, as well as the general public, the history of this time period, we hold so dear. I often enjoyed learning from you too.
I am going to end this note here, before I allow my disappointment to rear it's ugly head. Best of luck ladies.